Hello #datafam! The global population will reach 8 billion this year. I thought this is a nice opportunity to visualize the growth of the world population from the year 1 to 2022.
Just for some context.
- We “only” had a world population of 190 million in the year 1.
- It took 1800 years to reach 1 billion
- It took about 125 years to reach 2 billion
- Just 50 years to reach 4 billion
- And another 50 years to reach 8 billion
Makes you wonder what happened since the 1800s that allowed for such a boom in population. 🤔 What do you think?
Tools: python, pandas, tkinter, sjvisualizer (https://www.sjdataviz.com/software, for bar chart race only)
Data source: https://ourworldindata.org/world-population-growth
Collected data and formatted data: https://www.sjdataviz.com/data